Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Look to your left. Look to your right.

Julie Z. Rosenberg recently interviewed the woman whose story was the basis of movie "The Blind Side." There was one part of the interview I found particularly compelling. When the author was asked what she wanted people to take away from her new book, "In A Heartbeat," she challenged people to:

"Turn around. Look to your left. Look to your right. That quickly, there can be somebody under your nose that needs your help and even the smallest bit of kindness -- . . . You will get immense satisfaction out of seeing what it does for someone else.

And if you do those sorts of things on a regular basis, it becomes second nature to you. And that's what I hope that people do. Small acts of kindness. If we all do that it will have a profound effect on this country and I really believe that. I truly do."

I truly believe it too which led me to start this blog. Reminders like her words and actions shows what a difference one person can make if they chose to do so. I also second the sentiment that you receive more in return than you give including intangibles like purpose and peace. I hope to leave the world a little better place than I found it one random kindness at a time. And if I can, inspire a few others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment